- I'm 47 years old (as I said)
- I play guitar (yes, I said that too)
- I have played the guitar for 33 years.
- I began playing the guitar on October 15, 1974. (that would make 33 years, 17 days as of this post.)
- I'm not joking. Because for many years, like the nerdy music collector I am, I kept the receipts of lps that I would buy and on that day I bought a copy of the new Deep Purple album "Burn" and listened to it over and over again with rapt attention wishing I could be Ritchie Blackmore. Pipe dreaming on this (I believe a pipe may have actually been involved, but enough about that) I suddenly recollected that my eldest brother had long ago moved out and stashed his cheapo guitar collection in my folks' attic.
- I often referred back to that receipt so that's how I know.
- Rummaging in the attic I found an acoustic guitar, a knock-off Telecaster solid-body electric and a knock-off Hofner bass of the bass-fiddle shape. Wish I knew the make and model but I believe my brother got them at Sears and Roebuck or something. They were not fine instruments by any means.
- Oh, and there was a little amp. Or was it two? There may have been a bass amp also.
more in a moment